When you’re on the hunt for the best battery-powered string trimmer, there are a ton of options. One that’s getting some attention at Tractor Supply, Lowe’s, and other retailers is the CAT Tools 60V 15-Inch String Trimmer (DG610). We dug a little deeper to see what we could find and help you decide if it’s a model you should consider.
CAT Tools 60V 15-Inch String Trimmer – The Big Deal
There are a few things that immediately stand out to us. First, this is a well-developed string trimmer for a brand that’s just getting started in the cordless OPE industry. Leading with a 2-speed brushless motor, a 15-inch cutting swath, and a 0.095-inch quick-load head are enough to get our attention as serious competition in this class.
However, it’s the 9.9-pound working weight that we’re really excited about. 10 pounds is the threshold between standard and lightweight string trimmers, and it’s tough to get a high-voltage system under that mark. The higher-capacity battery tends to kick it up higher, forcing you to heft more weight around as a trade-off for higher performance.
One thing to note is that the 35-minute max runtime (presumably on low speed) is low compared to other cordless string trimmers. However, keep in mind the amount of actual trigger time you need to trim your lawn. For example, a 1/4-acre lot with a handful of landscaping elements typically needs less than 15 minutes of trigger with a trimmer at this performance level. Food for thought.
- Brushless motor for gas-like performance without hard starts, routine maintenance, and fumes
- Dual feed 0.95-inch professional twisted line for efficient trimming and edging tasks
- Quick-load line replacement system for fast and easy line advancement
- Variable speed control for maximizing run time by adjusting the trimmer’s speed
- Push-button ECO mode to conserve battery consumption in sensitive areas
- 60V 2.5Ah battery included for up to 35 minutes of run time on a full charge
- Fully enclosed cell protection in the 60V MAX lithium-ion battery for increased security
- 15-inch cutting swath and protective debris guard for user safety and maximum cutting length
- Lightweight design at 9.9 pounds with the 60V battery pack for balance and maneuverability
- D-shaped adjustable front-assist handle with a smooth overmold grip for comfort and control
- Comes with a 3-amp 50-minute charger, Quick-Load spool head, and grass shield
- Covered by CAT’s five-year limited warranty
CAT Tools 60V 15-Inch String Trimmer Price
If you already have CAT’s lawn mower or other 60V products, you can get the string trimmer as a bare tool for $149.99. The kit includes a 2.5Ah battery and charger, bringing the price up to $229.99. Either way, CAT backs it with a 5-year limited warranty on the tool.
- Model: DG610
- Battery Voltage: 60V MAX lithium-ion
- Included Battery Capacity: 2.5Ah
- Line Diameter: 0.095 inches
- Cutting Swath: 15 inches
- Run Time: Up to 35 minutes
- Motor Type: Brushless
- Weight (with battery pack): 9.9 pounds
- Charger: 3-amp, 50-minute charger
- Warranty: Five-year limited warranty