Makita AVT Demolition Hammer Breaks Up Concrete With Maximum Comfort
Makita has just launched two new 15-amp demolition hammers. We recently covered the 43 lb. HM1502 Demolition Hammer, and today, we’re looking at the Makita HM1512 45 lb. Demolition Hammer with AVT. This demolition hammer has been equipped to dig trenches, tamp, and bust through all manner of concrete up to 8-inches thick. And, with its anti-vibration technology, it works hard without shaking the teeth out of your head.
What’s the Big Deal?
With the 43 lb HM1502, we mentioned the inline body design that keeps the demo hammer slim enough to work well in narrow spaces. The Makita HM1512 Demolition Hammer has the same frame as well.
This demo hammer features a 15-amp motor that can drop 48.5 J of impact energy at 1,300 bpm. This is slightly less than the other model.
However, where the Makita HM1512 AVT Demolition Hammer excels will be in the vibration department. The counterbalance system inside the tool, which Makita has based on the seismic engineering that protects buildings from earthquake shocks, dramatically dampens the vibration felt from this inherently violent tool. It also includes vibration-reducing handles that soak up more of the force to your hands.
We also like the Soft Start feature that smoothes out start-ups and increases accuracy, as well as the Soft No-Load function that increases the tool life by reducing the speed of the motor while it’s idling. And, for OSHA Table 1 compliance, the HM1512 works with Makita’s dust extraction solutions as well.
- LED Power Lights indicate switch failure or cord damage
- LED Service Light notifies the user approximately 8 hours before the brushes need to be replaced
- Extended Life Brushes allow for more work between service intervals
- Automatic Brush Cut-Off protects commutator from damage for longer tool life
- Easy-to-operate slide switch with lock-on is positioned to be activated without releasing the handles
- Side handle swivels 360° for increased maneuverability
- Rubberized ergonomic soft grip provides more comfort
- Makita Motor Advantage engineered with field core interlocking steel laminations, dual ball bearing armature, and more copper commutator bars, increasing energy transfer efficiency for more power and longer tool life
- Durable blow-molded rolling tool case for safe storage and easy transportation
Side by Side Comparison
The main difference between the two models revolves around the inclusion of anti-vibration technology (AVT) on this model. This feature greatly improves general comfort level, particularly important with day-in,day-out work. But, the trade-off is a seemingly marginal amount of impact force, of which the slightly smaller HM1502 has more. We love that you get less than half the vibration. That matters when you do lots of demo.
|Model||Makita HM1512||Makita HM1502|
|Description||45 lb. demolition hammer that accepts 1-1/8″ hex bits||43 lb. demolition hammer that accepts 1-1/8″ hex bits|
|Impact Energy (ft.lbs./Joules)||35.7 ft.lbs. / 48.5 J||36.2 ft.lbs. / 49.1 J|
|Blows Per Minute||1,300 BPM||1,300 BPM|
|Vibration Measure||6.5 m/s2||14.5 m/s2|
|Noise Level||106 dB||106 dB|
|Weight||45 lbs.||43.4 lbs.|
Pricing & Availablity
You can pick up the Makita HM1512 45 lb. AVT Demolition Hammer for $1299. It comes with a 1-year warranty.
Makita Demolition Hammer Specs
- Model: Makita HM1512
- Amps: 15 amps
- Impact Energy: 35.7 ft.lbs. / 48.5 J
- Blows Per Minute: 1,300 BPM
- Anti-Vibration Technology
- Vibration Measure: 6.5 m/s2
- Noise Level: 106 dB
- Soft Start: Yes
- Bit size: 1-1/8 in. Hex
- Length: 31-3/4 in.
- Cord length: 16.4 ft.
- Weight: 45 lbs.
- Warranty: 1 year
- Price: $1299
For more information, click here.